- Software Development
- Tips to pick the right software development projects for your company
The process of decision-making for software development projects selection is affected by plenty of factors that companies should handle carefully.
This article will provide useful insights that can help companies take care of it. In particular, the article will also focus on choosing the right software development projects phase, which is an initial phase of the process that is fundamental and can make or break the whole journey.
Software Development Outsourcing Project:
In order to deal with the negative effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, companies need to upgrade their processes and operations, utilize new software tools. This can help companies to rise above the current situation and challenges, and meet the ever-developing demands of clients.
It is surely overwhelming for companies to face the task ahead so how should companies work on the transformation that can embrace a wide range of projects?
And how can they commence their software development journey as soon as possible?
Companies can answer these questions much more easily by utilizing an in-depth strategy. A boost in software applications development can help businesses underpin their operation and enhance the companies’ performances with valuable solutions.
The Difficulty in Choosing the Right Development Projects
It seems like the selection for companies’ software development projects is not the hardest thing to work on. Companies that are behind in terms of software development will have plenty of new challenges to take on. Companies that are already in the journey of IT development transformation also have their own concerns to face.
But how can companies ensure that the chosen software development projects are the ones they need right now for their business?
Companies that are still new to this journey might believe that any software development project that can bring new technology into the businesses is the right choice compared to none, whilst the others that are already on the path of software development and digital transformation might think that as they move forward, the logical steps to the process will appear. However, those two beliefs are not indeed precise.
Some software development projects are not worth investing in and not all software development projects will be the winners for businesses.
They might be too complex to integrate, too expensive to establish, too slow to convey a return on investment (ROI), or to sum up, they are just no match for the business of the companies. Moreover, there is no one-size-fits-all recipe for success in software development endeavors.
This is due to the fact that software development projects need to work on two different but simultaneous processes: the operations of business witness a quick transformation in order to meet the new demands, while there is a slower-paced software development intitiative on the core of the business infrastructure.
These two processes are possible with software development thanks to the already available solution adaption (such as cloud-based), and the custom development of software applications and tools to boost the companies’ infrastructure.
In fact, both urgent and long-term technical needs that companies may have are covered by custom software development. To be more specific, custom software development offers an ability to move quickly and easily from one technology to another, all are carefully picked to release the most instant results.
To clarify which is the best software development project to work on next, the 4-step process which is a basic approach is the catalyst of the selection.
The next part of this article will analyze the 4-step process that was mentioned above.
The 4 Steps Toward Software Development Acceleration Success
Businesses are capable of identifying the software development projects that are the most suitable for them thanks to the 4-step process at any moment.
Those steps include:
- Companies need to deeply evaluate the opportunities that are available. Listing down all the software development projects that they should handle is the first thing the companies should do. At first, companies just need to name them in the list but make sure to let them stay in order of potential ROI and value. The next move is adding new factors namely required resources (equipment, time, money, talent) for each project.
- Examining the companies’ resources is the second step. It is certain that the first evaluation is incomplete due to the fact that those priorities that have been listed still need one more vital component that is the ability of the businesses to handle each project. Companies need to analyze their own self by taking a look at their in-house capabilities and investigating their available resources such as insights, tools, data, and talent that can help them to work on these projects. As a result, companies can identify software development projects that they can start working on regarding what they have and those that need more investments in the resources.
- Next, companies need to reposition software development projects based on their relevance. The first two steps can only provide a list of software development projects that are doable and valuable for the companies. However, companies need to consider if those projects which are at the top of the list make any sense in terms of relevance, before starting working on them. For instance, a project of adopting an E-Commerce Mobile Application solution in terms of ROI comes before the solutions of integrating an automated customer support system. That is true when the companies have enough resources. However, when they receive complaints from their clients, businesses have to prioritize the automated solutions before going with the Mobile App development project. To sum up, the third step in the 4-step process is basically about finding out the solutions that are more relevant to the companies’ current situation.
- The final step in the 4-step process involves 3 small steps that are developing, measuring, and starting again. After the companies have overseen the data-driven analysis for all the projects that they could work on, they need to develop those projects and complete them as soon as possible to gain a significant ROI.
Next, businesses will move to the next action which is measuring if these projects that they make assumptions to pick were the right ones for them. Businesses need to wonder if the completion of the development was on time, if they got the results they were looking for, whether there were any unpredicted difficulties during the development. Measuring these factors can help companies modify the development process and recognize the next projects they should work on.
Identifying the projects that are right for the companies includes a data-driven approach prioritizing opportunities to improve the companies’ business based on the criteria that are related to the companies’ current situation. However, this is not as easy as it sounds. When prioritizing projects, there is a chance that companies have to make some difficult decisions regardless of the data that they have. Despite that matter, they should always believe in their instinct and the feedback which comes from the stakeholders and their employees.
Moreover, businesses need to understand that it is not always necessary to lower a specific project on their priority list just because they do not have enough specific resources to work on it. For example, a business might have to deal with a lack of in-house talent to work on mobile engineers or QA testing professionals. It seems like a major drawback at a glimpse, however, this can be easily under control by hiring a company that provides QA testing services.
The decision-making process for software development projects that companies should work on is affected by several factors. Companies are better to take slow but confident steps moving forward into the right path instead of rushing their software development acceleration and ending up developing failures.
Let’s create the next big thing together!
Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success.