If you’re landing on this article, you might be asking a question about how to hire a Ruby on Rails developer. But the hiring process is more complicated than you thought. Instead, to find out the answer, you should break down the overall question into sub-categories:
- How to write a Ruby on Rails job description?
- What are the requirements needed to hire a Ruby on Rails developer?
- Where to find Ruby on Rails developers?
- How much does it cost to hire a Ruby on Rails developer?
The following article will shed light on the Ruby on Rails development process by helping you answer those questions one by one.
How to Outsource Freelance Ruby on Rails Experts
When it comes to Ruby on Rails developers outsourcing, the three vital factors you need to bear in mind are years of experience, hourly rate, and type of work arrangement. Besides, the scope of the project and your budget can also be the driving factor that decides who is the talent that fit your requirements.
To make your search easier, we collected information about places you can find RoR developers, approximate prices on their work, and how to prepare your job description. Let’s start with it.
Ruby on Rails Job Description
It’s important to write a clear Ruby on Rails job description if you want to attract proficient developers or development teams. It’s also vital to establish the right expectations upfront to streamline the vetting process and save everyone time and money.
What to Write in Ruby on Rails Developer Job Description?
An average job description includes the following parts: company introduction, job description itself, responsibilities, skills, and experience you’re expecting from your candidates. If your JD precisely describes the job position, and the pricing is average or higher than that on the market, chances are you’ll get lots of applicants.
Write 2-3 sentences describing your business in this section. Provide details on the company’s culture and benefits. This is an excellent place to provide a link to your business’s website. The finest applicants will conduct extensive research before their interview.
Be specific about the job you expect your new developer to complete.
Here is the sample job description:
‘‘We’re searching for a competent Ruby on Rails Developer to help us manage data transfer between our users and the server. You’ll be in charge of building and maintaining the core database’s server-side logic, as well as testing performance, troubleshooting, and integrating front-end aspects into the rails application’’.
Another example is
“We need an experienced Rails developer to help us build a new eCommerce site. We need a fully developed web application with custom reports defined in the attached document.
The right developer will provide us with the full back-end and front-end code, and we will need you to deploy it to our production server. We will also need future improvements and enhancements with a maintenance contract after the website is fully developed and deployed. We’ve attached business requirements for your review.
The estimated duration of this project is three months. We need the completed app by XYZ date.”
It’s likely that most developers will have questions and want to discuss the project further, but this gives every developer a basic idea of what you’re looking for.
A good project description will help the developer give you a more accurate estimate and delivery date, so it’s one of the most important parts of finding the right developer and defining your project timeline.
Be clear and honest about the responsibilities. You can choose from the following tasks of the Ruby on Rails developer:
- Design, develop, and maintain Ruby code that is efficient, reusable, and dependable.
- Databases, key-value stores, blob stores, and other data storage methods may be integrated.
- User-facing elements created by front-end developers are combined with server-side logic.
- Identify bottlenecks and bugs, then come up with remedies.
- Assist with code quality, structure, and automation’’.
How to write an effective Ruby on Rails job post
Your project description should give the developer a basic idea of what’s being built, and then define the deliverables that you expect.
For instance, do you want the developer to hand you the code and you’ll upload it to your production server?
Or do you want the developer to deploy the code for you? You might also want a maintenance contract for future bugs and improvements. The developer needs to know the time that will need to be spent on the project to give you a good estimate.
Below is a sample of how a project description may look. Keep in mind that many people use the term “job description” but a full job description is only needed for employees. When engaging a freelancer as an independent contractor, you typically just need a statement of work, job post, or any other document that describes the work to be done.
The Ruby on Rails Web Application Skills
The following skills are required for a Rails Developer:
- Experience with Ruby on Rails and other standard libraries like RSpec and Resque is required.
- Ruby syntax and its intricacies are well-understood.
- Object-oriented programming knowledge is essential.
- Understanding server-side templating languages is essential.
- Understanding of CSS preprocessors on the server.
- MVC, Mocking, ORM, and RESTful ideas are all concepts that you should be familiar with.
- The ability to write clean, readable Ruby code.
- Integration of many data sources and databases into a single system.
- A basic understanding of the design ideas that go into making a scalable application.
- Possess the ability to design database schemas that represent and support business operations.
- Capable of putting automated testing platforms and unit tests in place.
- A thorough understanding of code versioning tools is required.
- Include any other frameworks, libraries, or technology that is relevant to your project or profession.
- Level of education or certification required.
ROR Developer Experience
Make sure to include the level of expertise that your company prefers and clarify the experience the coder should have for your position. You can select (or choose everything) from the following:
- Ruby on Rails.
- Libraries like Resque and RSpec.
- Code versioning tools including Git, Github, SVN, and Mercurial.
- AngularJS or BackboneJS.
- MVC, Mocking, RESTful, and ORM.
- Server-side templating languages including Slim and Liquid.
Ruby on Rails Developers’ Levels of Expertise
More specifically, each level of skill depth is characterized by a unique list of requirements, which will be outlined further in this article.
Usually, the division of skill levels looks like this:
Junior Ruby on Rails Developer
The junior Ruby on Rails developer, essentially, handles the small tasks under supervision and is self-motivated to develop the skills.
Meanwhile, a junior developer isn’t a trainee and has a basic knowledge of Ruby, data formats associated with it, and main project processes like the Red-Green-Refactor cycle, unit-testing, and work with Git, RDBMS, Linux, and code editors.
Here is the skillset of a junior Ruby on Rails developer:
- 1 year of experience in programming
- Strong knowledge of Ruby, Ruby on Rails
- 2 years of expertise with C++ algorithms
- Basic knowledge of HTTC protocol (types of nodes, protocol structure)
- Enthusiastic about writing clean, efficient, and accessible code in a functional framework
- Creative with database construction
- Dedicated to providing exemplary work and supporting the overall mission of the team, client and business idea.
Middle Ruby on Rails Developer
This Ruby on Rails developer has all the necessary basic knowledge. This is a transitional stage for an intermediate who has been working for more than three years and is preparing to move to the senior level.
A middle Ruby on Rails developer should have the following skillset:
- 3+ years of experience in web development
- Solid knowledge of Ruby, Ruby on Rails, DigitalOcean, Ubuntu, SQL, JS, CSS, HTML, Swagger
- Reliable and friendly team member
- Skills in using the automated linters, style checkers, static code analyzers
- Deep knowledge of standard Ruby library
- Ability to conduct a comparative analysis of gems/code from public repositories and choose the best of them for a specific task
- Version Control Systems
Such a person can cope with any task faster than others and make it high-level work. They usually make some contributions to open-source Ruby on Rails projects or to Ruby code. And keep blogs where to publish only relevant materials containing their own work results and research.
Senior Ruby on Rails Developer
Such specialists usually have 5+ years of experience, share the company’s values, and start initiatives that solve many project problems.
The portfolio of a senior Ruby on Rails expert should have similar expertise and skillset listed below:
- 5+ years of experience in programming
- Reliable and friendly team member
- Complete understanding of the working environment
- Skilled in complex web and app development
- Deep knowledge of popular libraries/frameworks/architecture solutions (ROM, Hanami, dry-rb, RabbitMQ)
- Version Control Systems (GitHub, GitLab)
- Databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis, SQLite)
Ruby on Rails: Top Interview Questions
When you selected the candidates that could suit your project, it’s time for a hard-skills interview. Here are some questions that might be useful when it comes to the outsource Ruby on Rails development process.
- What is Ruby on Rails, and how does it work?
- What are the functions of the app/controllers and app/helpers subdirectories?
- What command can you use to make the subject’s controller?
- Give five examples of what Rails Migration can do.
- What exactly is a Rails Controller?
- How do you prevent Cross-Site Request Forgery in Rails?
- In Ruby on Rails, what does trash collection do?
- Name three Ruby on Rails limitations.
- What are the top Ruby on Rails benefits?
- Name the four different sorts of variables in Ruby Class.
Freelance Ruby on Rails Developer Pricing
In the United States, a Ruby on Rails developer earns an average of $117,922 a year. Rates for Rails freelancers can range from $30 to $100 per hour, depending on the developer’s years of experience, location, availability, and additional programming languages needed.
Top-Notch Websites to Look for a Ruby on Rails Developer
Ultimately, a few things will influence your choice of Ruby on Rails developers. Consider the duration of the product development, the years of experience of the coders, the cost, and the amount of time you’re willing to invest in the hiring process.
Let’s share with you some places where you can find Ruby on Rails experts to complete your development projects.
Upwork is known as one of the largest global talent marketplaces that help connect freelancers with agencies and companies around the world. The platform provides a large number of human resources for various industries including development & IT, writing & creative, sales & marketing, etc.
Upwork has a quite simple hiring process with 3 steps. First, the employers locate the freelance or agency they’d love to hire. They can browse through the list of Ruby on Rails developers to find the ones that are likely to match with then send those ones an offer.
It might take maximum 7 days for the freelancers to accept an offer. The freelancer can accept the offer, decline it, or send a private message to discuss the alternative terms before coming to an agreement and signing a contract.
Another way, if your project is not under time constraints, another way to hire Ruby on Rails on Upwork is to post the job description, and job requirements and wait for suitable attendees to apply for the job.
As one of the largest freelancing job boards on the web, Fiverr is a proven platform for connecting with prospective freelancers. The site aims to streamline the process of connecting web developers with clients in a way that’s efficient for both sides.
You can contact an experienced Ruby developer by selecting their profile if you think you’ve found a good fit. Once the terms for a project have been finalized, a client hires an RoR developer and pays the upfront fee.
You have about three days to read over the finished product and decide whether to accept a project submission or reject it to get a refund.
Clients look through the site’s list of freelance developers and development companies by using its robust filter tools to find the right fit. You can filter developers based on their price range, body of work, and much more.
Fiverr is a website to look for developers who specialize in a specific area, as the site includes categories for almost any form of development work.
If you click on the mobile application development link, for example, you can narrow down possibilities based on even more precise criteria like custom app development or web-to-app conversions.
Through devoted freelancing talent, Upstacks wants to elevate remote tech teams around the world. They source their web developers from all over the world to find the greatest freelance expertise.
They use an eight-step hiring procedure to ensure that site visitors have access to the greatest applicants with exceptional development skills, communication abilities, and personalities. Java, Python, iOS, and PHP are just a few of the disciplines where they have experts.
They’ve worked for well-known companies such as Microsoft and Lego. However, depending on the size and scope of your company, Upstacks has a broad talent pool that is very scalable.
YouTeam is in cooperation with DevOps agencies, so if you are interested in software development expertise rather than cheap freelance pricing, this option is for you.
This talent pool includes over 20,000 full-time developers from Eastern Europe and Latin America.
All of them have passed the selection stages, so the chance to quickly find a full-stack expert with a more proficient level than a freelance developer is much higher.
YouTeam works with both seed and series A startups, as well as large companies with over a thousand employees, and specializes in recruiting the teams that provide Ruby on Rails development services.
Ruby on Rails has exploded in popularity in a relatively short amount of time as a framework. The framework’s purpose is to reduce the amount of time and effort required to create a web application. This, however, places a strain on the developer’s expertise in the framework. It is especially true given the framework’s preference for convention over configuration.
Hiring Ruby on Rails Developer: FAQs
How much does it cost to hire a Ruby on Rails developer?
If you need to hire a Ruby on Rails developer, the cost can vary. It can be a charge per hour or a one-time payment per project. Depending on their location, a Ruby on Rails developer typically charges between $15.00 and $100.00 per hour.
What skills are important for a Ruby on Rails developer?
Web development, design patterns, and application security are among the most important skills. In addition, an RoR developer must be able to analyze requirements and translate them into thorough specifications. It is also necessary to have strong mathematical and problem-solving abilities.
What is the best Software & Mobile development outsourcing company?
If you’re looking for hiring a whole dev team for your project, InApps is an excellent tech hub that can connect you with a top-notch development team.
We’re proud to be a reputable partner who’ve provided mobility solutions, mobile app design and development for +60 international startups, SMEs & enterprises from many industries namely heallthcare, dating, gaming, payment, Food & Restaurant,…
Reliability is one of the elements to make the best decision! Hence, we show you our reputation via our case studies.
Ruby on Rails FAQs?
Is Ruby on Rails still relevant in 2023?
Although way behind main contenders, such as PHP or Python, Ruby still makes the cut for the 20 most popular programming languages list in 2022
Let’s create the next big thing together!
Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success.